New Community Library Program
1. Purchase vacant land - Completed Nov 2018
2. Seek input from residents on desired features for new library - Ongoing
3. Hire architecture firm to create site-specific design - In progress - RFP issued Feb 2019
4. Grant-seeking & fundraising - In progress
Site-Specific Building Design
Request for Proposal (RFP)
The Chesterfield Township Library is issuing a Request for Proposal to solicit interest from qualified and bonded professional design firms to develop a New Community Library Program proposal. The Proposal is sought to aid the Library in selecting the best construction plan that will meet its future service needs.
Issue date: February 01, 2019
Closing Date: March 29, 2019; 4:30 p.m.
Library of Michigan: Quality Services Audit Checklist (QSAC)
Facilities and Equipment
The Chesterfield Township Library Board completed the purchase of land for the purpose of constructing a new library building in November 2018. The parcel, 5.698 acres of vacant land, is located at the southeast corner of 21-Mile Road and Sugarbush Road. The land was purchased from the Macomb Interceptor Drain Drainage District for $100,000. The Library Board paid in full for the property and holds the title free and clear.
- Preliminary 21-Mile Road & Sugarbush Road Site Map
- Report on Preliminary Geotechnical Investigation
- Phase 1 Environmental Site Assessment
- Wetland Delineation and Jurisdictional Assessment
Patron Suggested Features for New Community Library via Whiteboard (January 2019)
- Aquarium with Beta fish/Platy/Mollie
- Area for writing
- Bike rack
- Cafe/Vending/Coffee corner/Bakeshop
- Chairs with reclining backs for back support
- Drop off box outside
- Eating station
- Electric Vehicle Charging Station
- Genealogy room
- Go Green
- Hold pickup lockers (after hours)
- Large Children's area - updated toys/materials
- Large group meeting room
- Listening room
- Makerspace area
- More and bigger bean bag chairs
- Nice sitting area
- Outdoor area/Lounge with bird feeders/Seating
- Separate Teen space
- Small meeting room with A/V options
- Study rooms
- Walking path
- Windows/Natural light with seating & device charging
Patron Suggested Features for New Community LIbrary via Facebook (January 2019)
- Coffee bar
- I love the walking path idea, and how about a patio area? I second the large meeting room and more windows. Perhaps look into floor coverings that can be taken up and cleaned easily, some products are Ruggables and FLOR. Sustainable design of the building (LEED certification) besides being the right thing to do it saves costs in the long run.
- More windows and a coffee bar
- Coffee/snack friendly lounging area indoors and outdoors. Especially if a part of the building faces trees and brush, then it could be very relaxing and a destination for families looking to do something very low cost and the more time a family spends at the library the more they’ll utilize all the cool resources!
- Fireplace with seating area
- Seating area by windows, the bigger the windows the better. Lots of trees.
- An inviting children’s area with interactive features. A separate teen area.
- State of the Art facility: Tables with plug/USB port access, and Wifi. Print or copy room would be great too. Love all the ideas on the board. Kid, family and teenager friendly!
- I like the walking path, patio and coffee bar ideas.
- SO many great ideas. A nice sitting area near the kids program area would be nice for parents who are sitting/waiting for their kids. Skylights would be nice. A gas fireplace like said above sounds amazing.
- Small Mom's room for breast feeding
- As far as decor maybe a nautical look would be nice. Also maybe some part of the library to pay homage to library history.
- Open Sundays
- More cool things to check out. Clinton Macomb has tools, an inflatable projector screen for backyard movie nights, and how about old slide projectors to check out, so you can watch old family photos.
- Adult crafts
- Board games checkout
- Card swipe for workstation access
- Cooking classes
- Cricut for patron use in library
- Complete study books for IT and medical certification
- Craft programs
- Dogs you can read to any time you want
- Harry Potter
- Headphones with music
- Knitting/Crocheting programs
- Late night hours
- Later hours
- More adult cooking classes
- More books and DVDs
- More books for kids
- More computers
- More crochet books
- More dog man books
- More games on tablets in kid's area
- More horse books
- More Manga
- More medical books, study guides, longer hours
- More movies
- More plants
- More WWE
- More youth books
- Movie nights
- New books
- Open on Sunday/Sunday hours
- Wireless printing
- Writer's groups